Skip to content
Home » What do you need to know about Housing Disrepair Claims?

What do you need to know about Housing Disrepair Claims?

Housing Repair Claims are intended to protect residents of council housing as well as the housing association from home damage. It is the duty that the owner of the home make sure that a council property is habitable by homeowners and families. If they fail to meet the obligations of an owner, they could be held liable for damage that the home, tenant, or the tenant’s possessions. We know the process of settling any kind of lawsuit can be very stressful. But, if you’re living in poor conditions, it could have a devastating impact on your mental as well as physical health and also your overall level of living. We are determined to secure the amount you’re due.

All over the UK In the UK, it was discovered that more than 76,814 council homes were deemed to be “non-decent” according to the English Housing Survey. This is why it’s the perfect time to begin your Housing Repair Claim. This blog will provide answers to some of the most basic concerns you have about the type of claim you’re making.

If you’re planning to file an Housing Disrepair claim, you’re home is suffering from devastating damages that weren’t your responsibility. When you live in a council-owned home or the housing association’s property the home you live in isn’t the property of your “own” residence. It is rented to an individual. This person you are renting from is the landlord. So, they are accountable to repair any damage that might have occurred within or around the exterior of the property. If they fail to repair it, do not listen to your complaints or simply claim that you are the one to be responsible for the damages You can file a Housing Disrepair Claims against them. It is their duty to ensure that residents can stay in the home.

If they fail to comply with this and fail to do so, they will be held accountable for any losses that happen. You can then seek the compensation you deserve for any damage you’ve been forced to suffer. The amount of compensation will be determined by how extensive your damage is as well as how long your landlord allowed the issue to get worse.

What are my landlord’s responsibilities for in the rental house I am renting?

Your landlord is accountable to take care of the bulk of your home in the event that you lease from them. This covers the structures and roof of your home and the furniture and appliances that were included in the home in the first place including ovens, toilets, or refrigerator. Other responsibilities for your landlord are:

Fire safety
Gas, Electricity, Water, Sanitation maintenance
Damp and Mould issues
Broken doors and windows
Garden maintenance
Broken floors or nails that have been exposed

If you observe any of these issues in your home, inform your landlord immediately regarding the nature of the damage your house is suffering. You can send your concerns in writing or via email. So that they can respond as swiftly as they can. Your landlord is then required to visit the property to assess the damage, before transferring an engineer to get the problem repaired.

Do I have to pay rent when I intend to file a council and housing association disrepair claim?

Yes! You must continue paying rent if contemplating submitting an application for a Housing Disrepair Claims. The council home is rented housing. It means you need to pay to stay in it even if it’s far from what you would expect. We are aware that this can be extremely stressful. If you don’t pay rent, it’s probable that the landlord will bring a counter-claim against you. Should the counter claim be deemed to be valid and you are evicted from the home you reside in or fall into the debt of having to pay rent. Therefore, make sure you make sure you pay your rent on time! This will allow your claim to go more smoothly.

Do I have the right to claim if I no more reside in the home?

However, if you don’t reside in the rented property, there’s no way you can make an claim. This is because the lease is done and you’re no longer subject to the tenant’s “duty to care”. If you believe you’re suffering because of the negligence of your landlord, it’s crucial to make your claim as soon as you are able prior to the time you leave. So that you can receive the compensation you’re entitled to.

What kind of proof will I need to prove Housing Disrepair Claims?

Like a typical personal injury case it is likely that you will need evidence to prove the claims made. Evidence can come in various forms. It could be photos or videos CCTV of the damage. It is also possible to make use of witness statements as well as financial receipts, diary entries medical records, police reports , and contact between you and your landlord. It might be difficult to obtain evidence when you are trying to stay away from your friends. But, since you live in your house, you should be able collect photos at the very least of the damage. If you require assistance with more specific kinds of evidence for your situation, consult your attorney. They can assist you in understanding the kind of evidence you’re going need to prove your case.

How much can I get from my the Housing Disrepair Claims?

That’s where the situation may become a bit complicated. Every case isn’t going to receive the exact amount of compensation. The amount you will receive is contingent on the amount of damage you’ve endured and the amount of time the infraction has been going for. After you and your lawyer have established your case and you have a plan of action, you will be able to negotiate an agreement to settle. It is the amount of amount you’d be willing to pay for losses due to your landlord. Your landlord has the option of deciding whether or not they’d be willing to accept the settlement. If they do not, that is the time when the matter could be brought to the court.

How is the time required to submit an housing Disrepair Claim?

You have three years from when the damage was incurred to make claims for your housing Disrepairs. The landlord is accountable for the damages , and therefore we recommend that you do not delay if you require compensation for the damage. It could take our lawyers just one day or so to determine whether you’ve got a valid claim. The timeframe will depend on the nature of your claim. Our attorneys will keep you informed on how your case moving forward. Contact us anytime to stay in touch with them and ask queries anytime.