The driveway is often the first impression of a property, so it’s essential to choose a durable, appealing, and long-lasting surface. A popular option emerging in recent years is the resin bound driveway, a solution that blends durability with aesthetic appeal. This article will explore what resin bound driveways are, their benefits, and considerations for installation.
Understanding Resin Bound Driveways
A resin bound driveway is a permeable paving solution created by mixing natural aggregate or stone with a clear UV resistant resin. The mixture is then carefully laid on a prepared surface, creating a smooth, seamless, and durable finish. Resin bound driveways are known for their versatility in design, longevity, and their permeability, an essential factor in complying with planning regulations and promoting sustainable drainage.
Benefits of Resin Bound Driveways
- Durability and Longevity: Resin bound driveways are incredibly resilient and hard-wearing. They can withstand heavy traffic and adverse weather conditions, making them an excellent choice for a driveway. When correctly installed and maintained, resin bound driveways can last over 20 years.
- Aesthetic Appeal: One of the most notable features of resin bound driveways is their aesthetic appeal. They offer a wide range of colors and textures to choose from, allowing homeowners to customize their driveways to complement their property’s exterior.
- Permeability: Resin bound driveways are SUDS compliant (Sustainable Urban Drainage Systems). This means they allow water to drain through the surface, reducing the risk of water runoff, flooding, and water pooling on the surface.
- Low Maintenance: These driveways require minimal maintenance. Occasional sweeping and power washing are usually enough to keep the driveway looking as good as new. Moreover, the smooth finish prevents weed growth, saving time on upkeep.
- UV Resistance: The UV resistant resin used in the driveway mix prevents the surface from yellowing or fading in sunlight, maintaining the driveway’s color and appearance for years.
Installation Considerations for Resin Bound Driveways
- Professional Installation: Installing a resin bound driveway is a skilled task that requires experienced professionals. It involves a meticulous process of preparing the base, mixing the resin with aggregates in correct proportions, and laying the mixture evenly before it starts to set.
- Cost: The cost of a resin bound driveway can be higher than other driveway materials due to the technical installation process and the quality of materials used. However, considering its durability, low maintenance, and aesthetic appeal, it often proves to be cost-effective in the long run.
- Drainage: While the permeability of resin bound driveways aids drainage, it’s crucial to ensure the base is also permeable and has appropriate fall and run-off to a suitable drainage point. If the existing base is not suitable, additional drainage or a new base may be required.
In conclusion, resin bound driveways offer a durable, attractive, and sustainable option for homeowners looking to enhance their property’s exterior. With their long lifespan and low maintenance requirements, they are an excellent investment for the future. As with any significant home improvement project, it’s always advisable to consult with professionals to ensure the job is well-planned and executed for the best results.